Things I Worked On

Things I Worked On
My Content Stream

Pages

Tuesday 2 September 2014

NIGERIAN BRIDE PRICE APP, JOKE TAKEN TOO FAR?



A new app designed by a Nigerian firm, Anakle enables women to calculate their value as brides using criteria such as beauty and education to judge a bride's worth. Once users have completed a detailed questionnaire the phrase: 'the elders are consulting' appears and the final price is given. But the creators of the app, who say it is meant to be humorous have been criticised for taking lightly deeply-rooted cultural practices and objectifying women. I tried it few months ago and found it quite amusing. I tried it again few weeks ago while working on the story and I got a different result. I doubt if some share same sentiments as I do towards it. If you have tried it, what were your thoughts? Do share : )

Click on link below to watch the story.

More pics: 





Editi Effiong - CEO, Anakle - Pic courtesy Seun Sanni

Editi Effiong - CEO, Anakle - Pic courtesy Seun Sanni

No comments: