Things I Worked On

Things I Worked On
My Content Stream

Pages

Wednesday 22 November 2017

NOLLYWOOD PREMIERES ITS FIRST SILENT FILM


With the producer Ego Boyo

I sat silent as I viewed the trailer. It seemed normal but what occurred to me was that it did not have so much action.... I was expecting more. I was unaware I was watching a trailer for Nigeria's first silent film. The trailer had no dialogue. The blog post gave no hint regarding the fact that it was a silent film and since there was soundtrack I thought it was deliberate for suspense purposes. Few weeks after, I spotted a tweet while searching for story ideas. Twitter is my favourite place to dig for ideas and here I was engrossed. I could spend hours cos eventually it pays off. Nigeria's first silent film...."A Hotel Called Memory".... I was curious. I clicked on the link and it directed me to the trailer. Wow! Then it hit me. I did more research and it got the thumbs up from my editors in Nairobi. I teamed up with my filming partner a week after and like they say the rest is now history. The producer of the film Ego Boyo and director Akin Omotosho who also featured made history. Shot within six months in Lagos, Zanzibar and Cape Town.... the result was a dramatic and experimental film that follows a lady, one of my favorites, Nse Ikpe Etim who recently separated from her husband and decides to go on a self rediscovery in Zanzibar and Cape Town hoping to forget the past and move on with her life. With gestures, facial expressions and movements, the actors brought the film to life. The movie won the favourite experimental film at the Blackstar Festival in Philadelphia in August. This is a different genre Nollywood is exploring away from the norm we are used to. The 49 minute film was well.....hmmmmm I had to end it my own way as the end had different interpretations. "A Hotel Called Memory", I would not be forgetting that in a hurry. You would have to watch it to understand. What's next for this team? A thriller in the works. We can't wait!!
Unfortunately, I lost some of the pics so I only have few to share... it was also an opportunity for WINGS, the venue where the premiere was held to let guests have a feel of the place.




With Latasha Nwugbe

No comments: